This session focused on the leading role the EU can play in supporting the countries in greatest need and deal with the economic transformation required for the green transition, with a focus on:
- How to create enabling environments to mobilise more private capital in green finance
- How to strengthen the resilience of communities, businesses and people to the effects of climate change through financing instruments
- How green finance can empower societies, especially in least developed and fragile countries.
- Global goals vs. actual delivery
Speakers shared experiences on:
- the catalytic role of development finance in accelerating sustainable energy markets
- hindrances and opportunities for players committed to advance clean energy markets in developing countries
Panellists presented their different perspectives on developments in sustainable energy markets and outlined their contributions in helping to develop clean energy markets and increase energy access in developing countries. The diverse challenges faced in securing the necessary finance to scale sustainable energy markets for a successful green transition were discussed. The potential benefits of this growing market for private investors were highlighted and optimism was voiced that the clean energy sector will scale rapidly with the increased support of these investors.